Ceramic Multilayer Technology
Ceramic Multilayer Technology is a method to integrate three-dimensional structures in ceramic devices. Laser patterned glass-ceramic tapes with screen-printed elements are stacked, laminated and finally co-fired. Thus, a three-dimensional ceramic substrate with channels or cavities that includes passive elements like heaters, temperature sensors, or inductances inside the ceramics can be obtained. One of the most important advantages of this technology is the ease of structuring unfired tapes. This technology offers full flexibility for rapid-prototyping.
We have the entire technological line for production of LTCC (Low Temperature Co-Fired Ceramics, firing temperature below 900 °C) or HTCC (High Temperature Co-Fired Ceramics, firing temperature up to 1700 °C) structures at hand. Moreover, we can also offer a support during the following development steps:
- Theoretical analysis and design of the components with the aid of simulation of electrochemical, thermoelectric, or thermo-mechanic properties and processes,
- Layout of single layers as well as of the whole component with modern CAD software,
- Fabrication of functional structures by screen-printing,
- Patterning of unfired tapes or laminates with Nd:YAG laser (channels or vias),
- Co-firing in different chamber and quartz tube furnaces,
- Contacting and characterization of the samples.
We develop, amongst others, HTCC and LTCC substrates for gas sensors. Such structures feature not only electrodes and heating elements, but also additional structures like temperature sensors inside the ceramic substrate.
Another of our key aspects is related to the development of three-dimensional ceramic structures with channels and cavities inside the substrate. Such substrates can be used in gas sensors technology (HTCC) or in the micro-sensors technology and micro-fluidic devices (LTCC). One of the interesting application examples is a ceramic chip for fast DSC analysis developed in the last years.
We are also able to develop new applications, like, for the instance, stable and reliable platinum heaters in LTCC technology.